FinAid - Financial Aid Advice The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid
Site MapAbout FinAid
Saving for College
Military Aid
Other Types of Aid
Financial Aid Applications
Answering Your Questions
Beyond Financial Aid


Taxability of Scholarships
Search for scholarships
on Fastweb for free!
Create New Account

Your scholarship may or may not be taxable. Generally speaking, a scholarship or fellowship is tax free if you are a degree candidate and the award is used to pay for tuition and required fees, books, supplies and equipment, however there are some scholarship and fellowship opportunities that are not tax exempt. Any amounts used to pay for room and board and a stipend for living expenses is taxable. There are also a variety of coordination restrictions that are intended to ensure that you don't double-dip when taking advantage of the Education Tax Benefits. A good guide is the resource: Guide to Tax Treatment of Scholarships.

Relevant IRS Publications

Relevant IRS Publications include:

IRS Publication 970 discusses scholarships and fellowships, deducting work-related educational expenses, and the various tax benefits for education, such as the American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Tax Credit, Coverdell Education Savings Accounts, and section 529 prepaid tuition and college savings plans. See also IRS Tax Topic 513 - Educational Expenses and other IRS tax topics of interest to students.

Students whose financial aid application is selected for verification may be required to submit IRS Form 4506-T: Request for Transcript of Tax Return or IRS Form 4506: Request for Copy of Tax Return. See IRS Publication 1577 for more information about filing IRS Form 4506 or IRS Form 4506-T.

International students should also consult the following publications:

Of these, IRS Publication 901 contains the most important information for international students, as the taxability of scholarships is often governed by specific tax treaties with the student's home country.

To order copies of these publications, call the IRS Forms Distribution Center at 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) or visit the IRS web site. Questions may be directed to the IRS taxpayer's assistance center at 1-800-829-1040.

The legislation governing taxability of student financial aid can be found in IRC sections 117 and 529.


Home | Loans | Scholarships | Savings | Military Aid | Other Types of Aid | Financial Aid Applications
Answering Your Questions | Calculators | Beyond Financial Aid | Site Map | About FinAid®
Copyright © 2020 by FinAid Page, LLC. All rights reserved.
Mark Kantrowitz, Founder