FinAid Logo The SmartStudent Guide to Financial Aid
Site MapAbout FinAid
Saving for College
Military Aid
Other Types of Aid
Financial Aid Applications
Answering Your Questions
Beyond Financial Aid

Return to
Financial Aid for Study Abroad

See also the INTER-L and CIE-NEWS mailing lists. The former is of interest mainly to professionals; the latter to both students and professionals.

For a list of books about study abroad, please refer to the FinAid® bibliography.

University financial aid offices and individuals who are concerned about the impact of study abroad programs on student financial aid packages should obtain a copy of the small book entitled Financial Aid for Study Abroad. This book is available from the NAFSA: Association of International Educators. To order, call 1-202-462-4811, fax 1-202-667-3419, write to NAFSA: Association of International Educators, 1875 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20009-5728, or send email to (Contact their "Publications Order Desk".)

See also pages 3-32 of the 1995-96 Federal Student Financial Aid Handbook. These pages provide an overview of institutional responsibility for awarding federal student aid to students in study abroad programs.

Generally, for financial aid to be "portable" to a study abroad program, the student must carry at least a half-time load at the foreign institution and receive credit for the program toward his or her degree. The study abroad program must advance the student toward a degree and not merely be providing an enrichment experience. There may also be other eligibility restrictions, depending on the financial aid program. But as a general rule, many students will be able to take their Title IV funding (Pell, Stafford and PLUS) overseas with them. If the study abroad program is approved for credit by the school, and the student meets the usual eligibility requirements for federal aid, the school is not allowed to deny federal aid to the student just because he or she is participating in a program of study abroad. Institutional aid, however, is subject to the school's own policies.

Students who participate in study-abroad programs that cost more than the usual cost of attendance for their school may be able to get an increase in their Federal Pell Grant to help cover those costs.


Home | Loans | Scholarships | Savings | Military Aid | Other Types of Aid | Financial Aid Applications
Answering Your Questions | Calculators | Beyond Financial Aid | Site Map | About FinAid®
Copyright © 2020 by FinAid Page, LLC. All rights reserved.
Mark Kantrowitz, Founder